Extraordinary civilian service (Online-Registration)
Austria is currently in an exceptional situation. A comprehensive package of measures to combat the spread of the corona virus has been put in place. A supporting measure is the proclamation of the extraordinary civil service.
In order to be able to perform extraordinary community service, these requirements must be met:
- Civil service obligation: only for male Austrian citizens under the age of 50
- Ordinary community service must be completed.
- Full time (at least around 40 hours a week, overtime may also occur)
- Start of service: from June 2020
- Duration: June, July
All persons who are subject to compulsory civil service and have already completed ordinary civil service can volunteer.
Specific issues addressed and anticipated impact
The community service agency assigns volunteers - depending on the existing need - to the legal entity "Austrian Red Cross, regional association". The WCC regional association then assigns the “volunteers” to the community service facilities.
Since the spread of the coronavirus already requires health-relevant areas, the main goal is to support those institutions that are active in the health, care, social and care sectors.
During the performance of an extraordinary community service according to § 21 ZDG, civilians are entitled to:
- Basic remuneration: € 346.70 (tax-free),
- and surcharge for basic remuneration: € 189.90 (tax-free),
- and flat-rate compensation in accordance with Section 34b (1) ZDG: € 1,292.74 (gross), for the full calendar month:
- April 2020 € 1,140.34 (net)
- May 2020: € 1,144.74 (net)
- June 2020: € 1,140.34 (net)
- July 2020: € 1,144.74 (net)
If one's loss of income is not covered by the lump sum compensation, you can file an application for loss of income.
- Health and accident insurance
- Reimbursement of travel expenses (on request)
- Accommodation at the place of work if required by the ZDG
- Service clothing: only insofar as this requires the type of service or use
Federal Ministry of Agriculture, Regions and Tourism and the Civilian Service Agency