The TAP portal is a unique e-government system at the European Union level, which ensures the development of digital government legislation, moving from documents to structured data. The TAP portal ensures the proceedings of the meetings of the Cabinet of Ministers and allows every citizen of Latvia to follow the progress of the Government's decision-making and express an opinion on the regulatory acts being developed by the Government.
The TAP portal was created in order not to repeat the situation when the Government's decisions are made behind closed doors and to fully allow the public to follow the development of regulatory acts, as well as to ensure the continuity of the Government's work, regardless of the geopolitical situation and location.
The drafting of legal acts, public participation, harmonization, approval of the drafts, sending thereof for publication, archiving, and also circulation and control of tasks is ensured in the TAP Portal.
The objectives of the TAP portal are to:
- make the work of state administration more efficient;
- involve citizens in the public participation process;
- enable digital governance regardless of location and time. The digital transformation has been realized, providing the possibility to work remotely for the developers of regulatory acts, the Cabinet of Ministers and every member of society.
- moving from documents to structured data in the development of regulatory acts, which will allow further use of artificial intelligence in the development of regulatory acts;
The drafting of legislation in the country has completely moved from paper to data. The number of manual steps is reduced. The information and amendments are generated automatically, the drafters of legal acts do not have to think about the design of legal acts. A unified co-creation environment has been created for the development of regulatory acts and opinions. The history of revisions and approvals of regulatory acts is easily reviewed. Society has the opportunity to follow and participate in the development, coordination and adoption of regulatory acts in real time.
What Makes Your Project Innovative?
TAP portal is an innovative becuase:
- The development of legal acts does not take place in the form of documents, but is done in the data itself.
- Amendments to the legal act are completely automatically generated from the consolidated version of the legal act (data).
- The work of ministries, institutions and government has been completely transformed in a digital environment.
- E-government - work is continuous, regardless of the users' location and time.
- The process of goverment takes place regardless of the geopolitical situation, as the e-government can work from anywhere in the world.
- The circulation of legal acts is provided by the system itself, thus reducing the work of clerks.
What is the current status of your innovation?
The TAP portal was fully implemented in 2021 and has been in full use for a year. After the introduction of the system, there was an active user survey, online communication, working groups on improving the system.
Currently, system improvements are being made according to the needs defined by the users. The usability of the portal is improved and loopholes are fixed.
Conclusions after the implementation and start of use of the project:
- In order to develop a quality system, it is necessary to carry out a broad analysis of the expected result, a detailed evaluation of the existing processes and the definition of the new ones, involving the widest possible range of potential users.
- In the development of large information systems, the Agile method is very effective.
- Everyone wants to change processes, but don't want to change themselves, so it is very important to involve potential users from the very beginning.
- Moving from documents to data opens up very huge opportunity.
Collaborations & Partnerships
- The project was financed from EU funds.
- The system was programmed by a private company.
- Society, NGOs and the state administration were involved in the development of the project.
- The TAP portal provides information exchange with the 10 registers (Latvian Gazette information system, Legislative database of the Latvian Parliament, Information system for the control of adoption and implementation of European Union legislation, etc.
Users, Stakeholders & Beneficiaries
The whole society: Natural and Legal persons, NGOs, Media, Public Administration, Cabinet of Ministers, Parliament, President of the State.
Results, Outcomes & Impacts
Economic benefits: reduction of technical activities, proceedings and employees in public administration. Annual reduction in staff resources of more than 600 human months, with less human resources contributing to an equivalent amount of work. Extended remote work opportunities by reducing the use of office resources (energy resources, stationery goods, transport and room management).
Administrative benefits - Optimising the bureaucratic processes, reducing the time of development and decision-making of the TA by improving their quality. Transition to centralized, automated user administration using the Single Login module. Transformation of the State Administration and BOM job from a document-oriented process to data. All TA is signed only with a system or e-signature. Social impacts - the work of government and public administration has become more open, enabling any representative of society, regardless of the social group and location, to participate in government decision-making.
Challenges and Failures
TAP portal facing challenges to involve all users for one common idea. One of the failures was that we analyzed too much and tried to develop small processes that took too long, which led to a lack of time at the end of the project. The challenge was to change document-oriented processes and user habits in the development and circulation of legal acts. Everyone wants to change processes and the habits of other users, but don't want to change their own habits.
Conditions for Success
Our project was successful because:
- The project team was knowledgeable, responsible and interested in achieving the result.
- A large number of users were involved in the analysis and development.
- Good cooperation between developer, stakeholders and owner.
- There was a great support of the senior management in the implementation of the project.
The system can be used at the municipal level to develop their own projects. The TAP portal could be replicated in other countries, adapting to local conditions and specificities of legislative development.
Not to be afraid of big challenges, but to see the big contribution it can bring now and in the future. When realizing big ideas, you should be aware that you cannot get a perfect product immediately. Perfection is not constant, but regular work on improvement.
- Implementation - making the innovation happen
- Evaluation - understanding whether the innovative initiative has delivered what was needed
- Diffusing Lessons - using what was learnt to inform other projects and understanding how the innovation can be applied in other ways
27 January 2023