Innovation requires good strategies
Governments today face all kinds of challenges that often demand new ways of working. Governments must innovate. While some certainly do, in general, the maturity of innovation around the world is uneven. Innovation is often sporadic, not always well supported and is difficult to embed as a practice. if governments are thinking about how to innovate, they must also think carefully about how best to support different kinds of innovation, suited to different kinds of challenges. They need coherent, yet diverse, innovation strategies.
The Declaration outlines useful principles for innovation strategies
In recognition of the need for a portfolio approach, OPSI has developed a Draft OECD Declaration on Public Sector Innovation. It is a framework and set of principles that governments can use to inform their country’s own planning and strategising to foster innovation better.
An OECD Declaration on Public Sector Innovation can help direct attention to the need for new approaches and call for more robust and deliberate strategies to support it.
If governments choose to sign on to the Declaration, they are free to use it in ways that make sense for their context. In general, a Declaration can help a government to:
- Signal the importance of innovation and encourages governments to see innovation as a possible, viable option to policy challenges.
- Create a language around ways to approach common innovation challenges.
- Provide a framework to configure different types of innovation initiatives.
- Recognise that there are different kinds of innovation, suited to different kinds of goals or outcomes, and set out how multi-faceted innovation could be managed.
Have your say in the Declaration
The Declaration on Public Sector innovation is open for public consultation, now until the 22 of February 2019. We want to make sure the Declaration reflects your thoughts and needs and we encourage you to participate in the consultation and make sure your voice is heard.
The public consultation is online, click the link below to access the consultation platform.
The consultation platform allows you to:
- Create a profile, to enter comments either as an individual or on behalf of a group or organisation.
- Make general comments/ reflections in the generic comment box underneath all of the Draft
- Make specific comments by highlighting the part of the Declaration text you wish to comment on, and enter your comments in the comment box that pops up.
You can write a little or a lot. Everything is useful in shaping the next version of the Declaration.
To help you participate in the consultation, download the Frequently Asked Questions on the Innovation Declaration and access Innovation-Declaration-EN in printable PDF format.
Join the ‘Declare to Innovate’ campaign
We created this Declaration on Public Sector Innovation to affirm that governments need to find new ways of contending with complex challenges, if it is continue to serve citizens well. If you support this aim and want to show that you have participated in the consultation, download and print the Declare to Innovate poster and snap a picture of yourself. Tweet the photo to OPSIgov to show us that you have had your say in the #opsideclaration
If you have any questions, you can reach OPSI at [email protected]